Sunday, August 15, 2010

What decade are you?


I was asked a very thought provoking question the other day as to which time period I most identify with in my range of style, and for the life in me I could not come up with an answer, mostly because my outfit ideas are a culmination of whatever trends I most identify with at the time and whatever is clean in my closet. But I suppose my silly ideals actually have a lot to do with the overall concept of fashion; after all some of the most widely known trends derive from the art of necessity. When you begin to look back and dissect certain key decades, you begin to realize just how much of an impact history has had over the art of fashion. The 1920's was the time of women's liberation, and because of that a tom-boyish style began to develop in the "speakeasies". Women were getting bobs, and wearing flapper dresses that allowed optimal movement capabilities while they were doing the Charleston at all hours of the night. The 1950's was a time of great conservatism. T.V shows were representing the nuclear family with Husband and Wife sleeping in twin beds and the youths of this generation wearing varsity jackets, poodle skirts, and sweater sets. The 1960's provoked an emancipation from these conservative ways with the hippie style and their peace and love ideals. Disco brought on bell bottoms and huge hair and so on and so forth. If history has taught us one thing its that fashion is an ever fluctuating idea that creates trends that allow us to express ourselves in a myriad of different ways, and I for one am truly grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment